It has been one of those mornings. I’ve basically been cleaning for 1.5 hours and that’s after dropping off my oldest daughter to school.
This typically happens on a Monday when I don’t clean up on Sunday. Sunday happened to be a busy day with my daughter and I did not feel like cleaning up. I rested and now am paying for it this morning.
I understand that there will be times when your house can’t be clean all the time.
For me, I’m unable to function until I feel at ease at home and that only happens in a clean home. I’ve been ignoring things in my home that has been bothering me for the past week and I couldn’t take it anymore. So this morning I had to:
- Mop my wood floors since my child left footprints all over the floor.
- Clean and polish my wood table since there were so many marks all over it.
- Do laundry (clean and fold) which is basically a daily occurrence.
- Clean up the kitchen and start up a dishwasher load.
HOW TO AVOID CLEANING MARATHONS
It is ideal to take 15-30 minutes before you sleep to make sure:
- The dinner table is wiped down clean and has nothing on it.
- Sweep or vacuum the dining area after dinner. My kids always seem drop crumbs on the floor (which is more noticeable on dark wood flooring).
- Start a load of dirty dishes (if full) in the dishwasher.
- The kitchen sink is empty and clean.
- The kitchen counter surfaces are wiped down and clean.
- To quickly fluff up the pillows on your couch and straighten up the family room.
You may also want to incorporate the following:
- Don’t wear shoes in the house. Your shoes track in dirt and make your floors dirtier.
- Always squeegee your glass / tile surfaces after every shower so it’s easier to clean your bathroom later.
- Make sure all the dirty clothes are in the hamper. Prepare a load in the wash (and set the delayed timer) so that the clothes in the washer is done right when you get up in the morning and you can then transfer the clothes in the dryer. Do not leave wet clothes in the washer for long periods since it eventually makes your clothes smell.
You will notice that the majority of the items that need to be done is where my family hang out the most at the end of the the evening (which is the family room, kitchen, dining area). I try to clean up those spaces as best as I can. In the morning, you will be greeted with clean spaces in your home so you can start your morning with less stress. 🙂 That’s the best way to start your day!
Of course there will be days when you are too tired to clean up and will be forced to do a cleaning marathon, but don’t despair. Just get it done. Move forward and try your best to clean up for at least 15 minutes every evening until it is a habit.