My mother-in-law makes a watermelon drink that my kids and I love to drink in the summer time. My kids always look forward to this drink when summer rolls around. I don’t have exact measurements since a lot of it is to taste, but I’ll show you in the pictures what I do.
Right now watermelon is in season which means that it’s cheap. It’s around $3.99 for a whole seedless watermelon. You can make six pitchers of the drink from a whole watermelon. The trick to picking a watermelon is knocking it with your fist and if it sounds “hollow” it’s typically a pretty sweet watermelon.
STEPS TO MAKING THE WATERMELON DRINK
- Cut the watermelon about an inch and take off all the rinds.
- Cut up all the watermelon and stick it in the blender.
- Fill the blender up to the 1 or 2 cup mark with water so it’s easier to blend the watermelon pieces.
- Once the watermelon is blended in the blender, fill the blender with water until it reaches the 8 cup mark line and blend it again.
- Get a pitcher and put a strainer on top of the pitcher.
- Pour the watermelon drink on the strainer and use the blender tamper to stir the watermelon juice through the strainer. You can also use a spoon if you don’t have a tamper. Do this until you’ve strained the entire watermelon through the strainer. Dump the foamy stuff that’s in the strainer in the sink.
- Fill the pitcher with water and stir. Taste the drink.
- Add sugar to taste. When using a sweet watermelon, I only use 3 teaspoons of sugar. My kids rather have more sugar of course. If it isn’t sweet enough you can add a little less than 1/4 cup of sugar and stir.
- Put in refrigerator and serve when cold. The drink tastes better cold. But if you can’t wait, serve the watermelon drink with ice.