When I travel I like to use my anti-theft bags from Pacsafe, but I already own a perfectly fine backpack from Patagonia. I want to turn my current backpack into an anti-theft bag. The same size backpack (25L) that is already anti-theft from Pacsafe costs $140. I have to ask myself if it is worth buying a new backpack for $140 just to make sure it is an anti-theft bag.
What makes a bag an anti-theft bag? Well Pacsafe bags have the following anti-theft features:
- Carrysafe® Slashguard Straps
- There is an eXomesh® protection in the bag that extends the full length of the bag protecting your gear from opportunistic theft or if it’s snagged by a conveyor belt or luggage handlers.
- Smart Zipper Security: Zipper pullers can be attached to discreet security hooks or placed under & through a hypalon tab to prevent pickpockets reaching into your bag
- Turn & Lock Security Hooks
- RFIDsafe™ Blocking Pockets & Material
Unfortunately I am unable to install all the features of a Pacsafe bag onto my regular Patagonia bag such as:
- The slashguard straps
- Adding an eXomesh protection in the front of the backpack
TURNING A REGULAR BACKPACK INTO AN ANTI-THEFT BAG
But I was able to install the following items to make the Patagonia backpack anti-theft:
- Purchased two Nite Ize’s #2 S-Biner Slidelocks ($3.39 each)
The S-Biner Slidelocks allowed me to secure all the zippered compartments of the backpack (which is like the Smart Zipper Security on a Pacsafe bag). The slidelocks on the S-Biner help keep the S-Biner from accidentally opening.
- Used my existing travel TSA 4 digit combination lock (Free) (If you have to purchase a new lock that can cost around $13-$14)
This metal lock totally secures the main compartment (which is like the turn & lock security hooks on a Pacsafe bag)
- Purchased Pacsafe’s RFID-blocking passport sleeve from the Container Store ($5.99)
Anything that contains a RFID micro-chip goes into this RFID-blocking sleeve (which is like the RFIDsafe blocking pocket on a Pacsafe bag)
The total that I paid to make my backpack an anti-theft bag was $12.77 (not including tax).
If I already didn’t own a backpack, I would have invested in the Venturesafe 25L GII anti-theft day pack for $140. I just didn’t want to spend that money when all I had to do was spend $12.77 to get most of the features I really needed for a backpack I already love to use.