I try to save money by learning how to make things instead of buying it all the time at Starbucks. I finally decided to try making my favorite Green Tea Latte at home. I made this drink by using Breville’s Milk Café and used the frothing disc (the cappuccino disc for more froth). Instructions are listed below if you don’t own the Breville Milk Café.
I have to admit that I was shocked at the price for the matcha green tea powder (around $14), but making it yourself comes out cheaper than buying it at Starbucks or at a café place.
If you want a cold latte, use cold milk, mix ingredients well, and serve with ice. If you are craving for a shake, learn how to make a green tea shake.
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 8 oz of milk (I use 2% milk or you can substitute for whole or soy milk)
- Pour the 8 oz of milk into Breville's Milk Cafe cup.
- Add 1 tsp of the matcha green tea powder.
- Add 2 tsp of sugar.
- Add 3 tbsp of water.
- Set the Breville Milk Cafe dial between 140-150 F (depending how warm you like your latte). 140 F is the optimal milk temperature.
- Once the Breville Milk Cafe is done frothing and heating your Green Tea Latte, I turn the dial to cold stir to make sure the latte is mixed well.
- Pour and serve in a cup or mug.
IF YOU DON’T OWN THE BREVILLE MILK CAFÉ:
You can still make the drink by preparing it as it is listed below:
- Add the 1 tsp of matcha green tea powder and 2 tsp of sugar into a mug.
- Add the 3 tbsp of warm water and mix with a whisk or spoon until it turns into a smooth dark green paste. Make sure there are no lumps in it.
- Warm up the milk in a small pot and pour into the mug until it is near the top. If you want an iced latte, use cold milk and pour into the mug until it is near the top.
- Whisk the ingredients and milk together until it is smooth and light green.
- Enjoy your yummy latte.